Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Your Face(book) on Google!

After reading Michael Arrington's post about Facebook allowing non-Facebook members to use its People Search feature, I decided to sign into my account and see what's what.

I wouldn't have been concerned at all until I read the announcement a bit more carefully:

Now people can search for this listing from Facebook's Welcome page. In a few weeks, it may also be found through search engines like Google.

What!?

People might be able to search for me, see my photo and personal information directly on Google? That's a little weird for me and I really think it goes against some of the early values of Facebook - privacy and control!

I understand what they're doing from a business perspective, but I just don't agree with it.

I'm sure they'll give us the option of changing our privacy preferences - which I'll be sure to do - but for people who don't check their accounts very often, or who simply don't pay attention to these sorts of developments, this could come as a HUGE shock to them to see their face plastered across Google.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but it just doesn't sit well with me.

blog comments powered by Disqus